Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Where's The Beef?

Sometimes, when I read Jeanne's blog posts, especially when she gets all fired up, it really seems like she's mad about something real.  She's mad about something important.

I'm always left scratching my head when it's me.

Jeanne says she has beef (read her full post here).  So, let me see if I can figure this one out, or explain it to those less versed in Jeanne-speak.

First of all, this hasn't been going on since 2005.  I think maybe she had a run-in with someone else on our message board before me, and over time we've melded into one in her memory.  I can't be sure, but I always find it interesting that I'm accused of starting to harass her before we'd even "met".

Second, Jeanne called me a plebe.  If it's "game on" as she said in one recent post, then she is off to a weak start.  She's basically calling me young and fresh.  How is that an insult?

Jeanne goes on:
Regarding any other right I have, I have the right not to be a religious robot and be afraid that my point of view is out here. I also have the right not to fear corporate America and any threat that I am allowed to say what I need to say when I would not be getting paid by them to shut up. Right now when I write this, it is after 5pm, when most people are off work. I wrote most people. It is America and I have the right not to be harrassed and imitated on this blog.
It must be confusing for people who are new to Jeanne.  They must wonder who these people are out there who are denying Jeanne these rights?  I wonder if she imagines a room of angry Catholic women, who are plotting to take them away from her.

The thing is, no one thinks that.  No one wants her to be a "religious robot" or "fear corporate America".  And it certainly stands to reason that she has the right to not be intimidated and harassed.  That said, she does not have the right to not be questioned, responded to, or criticized.  We all have free speech here.

Since Jeanne doesn't like me, she assumes certain things about me, whether or not they're true.  I like the Huffington Post and feel no need to answer them.  And I love Disney.  I used to work for them, long ago.  I grew up in California (which I think is infinitely better than Florida).  So, I see no need to answer them either.  But the interesting thing is, those kinds of blogs do exist.  And nothing is done about it.  Not a damn thing.  Because these corporate entities understand that people have the right to share their opinion.

Here is an example: DisneySucks.Com

Of course, I post that as if she's going to read it and understand.  But it never ends up working that way.

I love that Jeanne has had 35,000 hits in 10 years.  I love that she says that as if it means 35,000 people have come to her blog and supported her.  You just know those hits (which by the way, is only about 9 hits per day, so it's hardly a blogosphere must-read) are from people like me who've met her on the internet and are just fascinated.  I know I can't look away from that train-wreck of a blog.  Even if her graphics do make my eyes bleed.

Keep Calm and Carry On, Jeanne.  I'll do the same.  Right here.





No comments:

Post a Comment